Alumni News - May edition
Here are just a few highlights of where you can catch our alumni this month.
We’d love to hear about any work LAMDA graduates are creating. Get in touch on [email protected] or send us a message on social media.
- A workshop for the new musical adaptation of The Danish Girl, involving director Tinuke Craig, took place at the New Theatre Peterborough from 26-30 April.
- The second series of Eleanor Rising with Rose Basista is available now on BBC Sounds.
- Megan Cusack has joined the cast of Call The Midwife, currently airing on Sundays on BBC One.
- Separation, starring Brian Cox, is now out in US cinemas.
- Sam Crerar features in Edition 7 of The Royal Court Theatre's Living Newspaperproject, available until 9 May.
- Annie May Fletcher is providing sound design and composition for Decades, showing at Leeds Playhouse this May.
- Ben Daniels stars in Jupiter’s Legacy, available on Netflix from 7 May.
- Dame Harriet Walter is among the cast of ReadThrough’s Othello, performed live for schools on 7 May.
- Esh Alladi and Julie Hesmondhalgh have been announced in the cast for Nottingham Playhouse’s digital production of Still Life, showing on 7 May.
- Nadia Parkes appears in Domina, beginning on Sky Atlantic on 14 May, and in Starstruck, now available on BBC iPlayer.
- Aaron Pierre features in The Underground Railroad, available on Prime Video from 14 May.
- The Nevers, starring Tom Riley, begins on Sky Atlantic on 17 May.
- Watch the trailer for David Oyelowo’s directorial debut, The Water Man. The film, which Oyelowo also stars in, will be released on Netflix later this year.
- David Oyelowo can also be seen in Peter Rabbit 2: The Runaway. Watch the new trailer before its UK release on 17 May.
- Directing alum Anthony Lau has been announced as part of Almeida Theatre’s Six Artists in Search of a Play, taking place from 19 May to 5 June.
- Persephone, a play written and directed by Gianna Kiehl, opens at Hoxton Trust Community Garden on 20 May. The show is supported by Ferodo Bridges (the company founded by MA Directing alum Alexander Raptotasios), and stars two 2018 LAMDA graduates Yolanda Ovide and Laoise Sweeney. Tickets are now on sale.
- Sound Designer Alexandra Faye Braithwaite has joined the production of Neville’s Island at Queen’s Theatre Hornchurch, running from 20 May-12 June and 22 June-3 July.
- Rosa Hesmondhalgh’s Madame Ovary, featuring lighting design by Holly Ellis, is showing at Storyhouse Theatre from 21-23 May, with tickets now on sale.
- Disney’s Cruella, starring Emily Beecham, is available simultaneously in cinemas and on Disney+ from 28 May.
- Emily Beecham can also be seen in The Pursuit of Love, beginning on 9 May on BBC One. Watch the trailer now.
- Watch the trailer for Endangered Species, starring Philip Winchester, due to be released in the US on 28 May.
- First Cow, starring Orion Lee, is set to be released in the UK on 28 May.
- Watch the first trailer for Oslo, starring Ruth Wilson. It will be released in the US on 29 May via HBO Max.
- Julie Hesmondhalgh will star in The Greatest Play in the History of the World from 1-5 June at York’s Theatre Royal, as part of a series of shows marking the theatre’s reopening.
- Julie Hesmondhalgh is also part of My Special Place, a new podcast series now available on BBC Sounds.
- Anna Maxwell Martin stars in Line of Duty, which you can now catch up with on BBC iPlayer. Look out for her in series 3 of Motherland, coming soon to BBC Two and iPlayer.
- The trailer for BBC One’s Vigil, starring Paterson Joseph and Rose Leslie, has been released. Watch it here.
Things to look forward to
- Three Mischief Theatre shows – Magic Goes Wrong, The Play That Goes Wrong, and Groan Ups – are embarking on UK tours this summer, from July.
- Sally Cookson will direct The Three Seagulls at Bristol Old Vic this July, with tickets now on sale.
- A new production of Constellations will hit the West End later this year, with Anna Maxwell Martin starring between 6 August to 12 September.
- Patricia Hodge has joined series 2 of All Creatures Great and Small, showing on Channel 5 later this year.
- Nikki Amuka-Bird has joined the cast of Amazon’s Citadel.
- Jacqueline Leonard will appear in Dead Lies on its UK tour this autumn.
- Ben Aldridge, Martin Shaw and Amit Shah have all joined the cast of ITV crime drama, The Long Call.
- Fabien Frankel has been cast in Game of Thrones prequel series, House of the Dragon.
- Director Tinuke Craig and Sound Designer Alexandra Faye Braithwaite have been announced as part of ETT and Storyglass’s That Podcast.
- Rebecca Frecknall is set to direct the musical adaptation of The Great Gatsby.
- Congratulations to Daisy Haggard who was nominated for ‘Female Performance in a Comedy Programme’ at the BAFTA TV Awards for her role in Breeders.
- Maureen Lipman will be among the judges of the Comedy Women in Print Prize 2021, with winners announced in November.
Published 04 May 2021